“If you truly loved yourself, you could never hurt another.” ~ Buddha
Why are we so hard on ourselves? Why is it so easy to forgive others yet we have such a hard time forgiving ourselves? The truth is we can be our worst enemy.
Self-love is not inspired by vanity, or by acquiring more things. It has nothing to do with thinking you look great or being happy about getting a promotion. Self- love celebrates and supports your entire being through good and bad times. This is much like a dear friend that is always there for you. In fact, you are always with yourself, so why not be your best friend?
One of the most important things contributing to you overall happiness is meaningful and loving relationships. And you can’t have solid relationships without love and respect. You have probably heard the saying, “you cannot love others if you cannot love yourself.” Completely loving yourself as you are is necessary in order to give your love to others.
Still need convincing? Here are 21 reasons to love yourself unconditionally.
When you love yourself…
- Constant learning is your mission. You develop and use your mind to advance your personal growth and experience. You are a true student of life. You nurture your beginner’s mind.
- You bravely to ask for and give help freely. Your compassion towards people fuels your spirit and touches lives.
- You forgive, forget and move on. You have learned lessons and use those to enrich your present moment.
- You are passionate about the things you do. You move throughout your day with purpose and positive energy.
- You are flexible and open to change. You are confident in your choices and realize change is necessary to live life to its fullest.
- You are optimistic. You know your approach to problem solving will strengthen your ability to move through life’s challenges.
- You are playful and spontaneous. You make joy a priority in your life and share that joy with everyone around you. Moments are filled with wonder.
- You are proud of the work that you do. You bring the best of your mind and spirit to every project.
- You are forward thinking, but present living. You have a vision for your future so strong you can feel it, but know you will only get there with the actions you take today.
- You are always looking for the silver lining. You realize that something positive comes out of every negative, you patiently wait for it to be revealed.
- You are strong and courageous and always stick to what you believe is right. You stand up for your beliefs and lend your voice to those less fortunate.
- You are ready for challenges. You know that life is not perfect, and there are plenty of tests along the way. You know without a doubt that you can handle it, and that it will serve you in the end.
- You are respectful and courteous to others and yourself. You recognize the beauty in everyone’s journey and honor those that cross your path.
- You are accepting of others and their challenges. You realize that judging others only casts a shadow on yourself.
- You are willing to ask for forgiveness. You realize that you are not perfect and that mistakes happen, and you are willing to accept responsibility for your part.
- You are open to love. When you love yourself, you open the doors for love to come into your life freely and without limits.
- You are outrageously creative. Nothing fuels the creative spirit more than loving and accepting yourself. It gives you freedom to nurture a wide variety of talents that might have remained latent.
- You don’t gossip. You realize the destructive energy behind gossip. Not only do you refuse to engage in it, but you also stand up for those being gossiped about in an effort to change behaviors.
- You are engaged in your community and in causes that are important to you. You know that it is rewarding to serve others.
- You attack you problems head on. You avoid blaming others and explaining things away. Instead, you focus on correcting your course.
- You are motivated and you persevere. You believe that your next success is just around the corner, and that is enough to keep you going.
You are a better person when you accept and love yourself unconditionally and understand that you are on a journey to magnificence. This does not mean that you can’t change or improve. It is the realization that you are a beautiful work in progress. Reveal the love that exists within you, no matter what. This miraculous gift of life is far too short to squander. We must enjoy the present moment with vitality and joy.
Loving yourself as you are has physical and emotional benefits as well. According to Psychology Today, “Self-love is important to living well. It influences who you pick for a mate, the image you project at work, and how you cope with problems in your life. It is so important to your welfare that it is important that you bring more of it into your life.”
Don’t just survive, be well and thrive.